Important Information for Pedestrians
As pedestrians, we are inherently vulnerable whenever we decide to travel on foot for any number of reasons. Many places are simply easier to maneuver around without the use of a car. However, in California, we actually have one of the highest pedestrian death risks in the country. In 2015, during the first half of the year, there were about 347 pedestrian deaths, which was a 7% increased compared to the same time period the previous year. It is important to be familiar with your rights as a pedestrian in the event of an accident that results in injuries.
Just because you were hit by a moving vehicle does not necessarily mean you will automatically be able to establish fault. If the driver will not accept fault, the decision will have will either have to be resolved in negotiations with the insurance adjuster and your personal injury attorney or in court.
Here is what you need to know about pedestrian rights in California:
- Drivers must yield to pedestrians at marked crosswalks and unmarked intersections.
- Drivers must slow down when approaching an intersection.
- If a motor vehicle is stopped at a marked crosswalk or at an unmarked intersection, drivers cannot pass it.
- Drivers must always exercise proper care to avoid pedestrians even if they are outside of a crosswalk.
That said, pedestrians must also exercise care and take responsibility for their own safety. It is possible for a pedestrian to be held partially or fully responsible for an accident under the following circumstances:
- Crossing the street against the marked traffic signal.
- Jaywalking or failing to use a marked crosswalk.
- Walking in areas where pedestrians are not allowed access.
- Traveling on foot while under the influence of drugs or alcohol.
PEDESTRIAN ACCIDENT ATTORNEY IN CARLSBAD
If you were injured while commuting on foot, the personal injury team at the Levinson Law Group is here to aggressively and proactively protect your rights. Our Carlsbad attorneys represent injured clients in pedestrian accidents across Southern California and would be honored to do the same for you to ensure you receive the compensation you need and deserve.