When commercial 18-wheelers collide with pedestrians, the injuries that result are often devastating and even fatal.
Commercial trucks and 18-wheelers are absolutely critical for the support of the California and national economy – these trucks carry consumer goods and products both in and out of our state, providing individuals and businesses with the commodities they need.
But there is also no doubt that such vehicles can be dangerous. In fact, commercial trucks and 18-wheelers weigh, on average, more than 10 times that of a standard passenger vehicle. This means that when a commercial truck is involved in an accident, the amount of force involved is great, and the damages that result can be very severe.
At the Levinson Law Group, our San Diego truck accident attorneys fully understand the devastating consequences of a semi-truck accident, and your family’s need to recover financial compensation for the number of losses you have suffered following an accident.
Our legal team will work hard on your behalf to maximize your settlement.
18-Wheeler Truck Accidents Change Lives
It is a rare occurrence that the driver or passenger of a smaller, passenger vehicle is involved in an accident with an 18-wheeler or large commercial truck and walks away unscathed; instead, the opposite is nearly always true: those within the smaller vehicle suffer devastating injuries.
Injuries that are suffered may truly change the course of the victim’s life, leaving them unable to care for themselves, work and earn an income, maintain normal relationships, and do the things that they love the most.
- Internal injuries
- Spinal cord injuries that result in complete or partial paralysis
- Loss of limb injuries
- Devastating burn injuries
- Soft tissue trauma
- Facial injuries
- Traumatic brain injuries; and
- Bone fractures.
The trauma of a truck accident and the injuries that result can lead to psychological injuries, such as depression, anxiety, and post-traumatic stress disorder, too.
You Deserve to Be Compensated
There is no amount of money that can ever truly compensation an individual who is seriously injured in a truck accident for their losses – nothing will restore the person to the quality of life they maintained prior to the crash.
But a large settlement award can help. At the Levinson Law Group, our San Diego truck accident attorneys advocate for your right to recover 100 percent of your damages, including compensation for the full extent of your:
- Medical expenses – The medical expenses that a truck accident victim sustains often total in the tens of thousands, or hundreds of thousands, or dollars. You should not have to pay for these expenses out-of-pocket.
- Future medical expenses – Serious injuries can lead to long-term harm, which necessitates future surgeries, treatments, therapy, medications, in-home care, and more. A semi-truck accident settlement should reflect these expenses.
- Lost wages and loss of earning capacity – If a commercial truck accident leaves a victim unable to work and earn an income, the individual should be compensated for the value of their lost wages and loss of earning capacity and benefits, including things like retirement benefits and bonuses that would have been earned but for the accident.
- Property damage – If any property was damaged in the accident, such as your motor vehicle and personal items within the vehicle, compensation should be allocated.
- Pain, suffering, and emotional anguish – While the above damage types are all economic in nature and based on actual monetary losses, a plaintiff in a trucking accident lawsuit also has the right to seek noneconomic damages for intangible losses, such as the value of a person’s physical pain, suffering, and emotional anguish. We can guide you through how these losses are calculated and how much your case may be worth.
THE STRESS ENDS HERE.
Schedule your free consultation
Why It’s Important to Work with a San Diego Truck Accident Attorney
Truck accidents are not only especially serious, but there are multiple potentially liable partied involved in a truck accident. Because of this, an attorney should be hired to help determine the damage values and negotiate for a fair settlement.
Determining liability can prove complicated, and without proof of liability, a plaintiff will have an extremely difficult time recovering compensation for their harm.
Following a truck accident, it is important that a thorough investigation is conducted to determine the cause of the truck accident. This will likely require the opinion of experts, the analysis of electronic control module (“black box”) data, the testimony of eyewitnesses, and more.
Those who may be named as defendants in a truck accident lawsuit might include:
- The truck driver – truck driver negligence, such as driving while impaired or driving at an unsafe speed, is a common cause of semi-truck accidents;
- The trucking company – if a trucking company hires a driver negligently, fails to maintain trucks, or otherwise contributes to the accident, they can be held liable for damages (they may also be held liable for a truck driver’s actions under the theory of vicarious liability);
- A shipper or loader of cargo – improperly loaded cargo may shift in transit, causing a crash;
- A third-party driver – if a semi-truck accident happened because of the negligence of another driver on the road, such as the driver of a passenger car swerving in front of the truck, this driver may be held liable for damages; and
- A manufacturer of the truck or truck part – if a part defect, such as a tire blowout, was the cause of the accident, the manufacturer of the defective part may be held liable.
Our San Diego trucking accident lawyers explore all potentially liable parties and insurance coverage available. We are skilled investigators that know what to look for and how to prove fault.
San Diego Truck Accident Infographic – A Quick Guide
Call Our Experienced San Diego Truck Accident Attorneys Today
If you have been hit by a semi-truck, settlement of your case may be a top priority. Before you accept a settlement, though, we strongly recommend consulting with an experienced San Diego semi-truck accident lawyer who can review your settlement and ensure that you’re compensated in full.
When you call our legal team, we will review your case for free, and work on your claim on a contingency fee basis with no upfront fees. We know the trauma you have suffered, and want to help you.