San Diego Brain Injury Truck Accident Lawyer
Have you suffered a brain injury in a San Diego truck accident? We can help you recover compensation.
The head is one of the most vulnerable parts of the human body. When a person sustains a brain injury, the effects can be life-changing, even permanent.
A brain injury can mean piles of medical bills and disruptions to day-to-day activities. While some brain injury symptoms may go unnoticed, others make it difficult to concentrate or sleep properly. Given the long-term financial and health consequences of a brain injury, seeking experienced legal representation is critical.
When a negligent truck driver causes a brain injury, they can be held accountable for the victim’s pain and suffering. If you or a family member has sustained a serious brain injury in a truck accident, please contact The Levinson Law Group. An experienced San Diego truck accident lawyer will represent you in your case and help you obtain compensation.
How Truck Accidents Cause Brain Injuries
The amount of force involved in a truck accident means the victim can suffer concussions and severe brain injuries. The impact can jolt your head in different directions. You may hit your head on a steering wheel, window, windshield or other parts of your vehicle.
Although brain injuries can range from mild to severe, the reality is there is no such thing as a truly minor brain injury. Because commercial trucks and 18-wheelers are so big and heavy, any brain damage in a San Diego truck accident can be catastrophic.
Determining the extent of internal damage requires a proper medical examination, including a brain scan. Injuries that seem minor at first may lead to medical complications and require hospitalization.
Types of Brain Injuries
Truck accidents can result in many different types of brain injuries, ranging from minor to severe. No matter the kind of brain injury you suffer, it has the potential to cause lasting harm to how you function mentally and physically.
- Closed head injury: This type of injury involves external trauma to the brain without any break in the skull. A closed head injury may occur when a person’s head hits an object inside the vehicle in a truck accident. A rapid back and forth movement and shaking of the brain can also cause a closed head injury.
- Open head injury: Also known as a penetrating head injury, this type of brain injury occurs when an object pierces a person’s skin, tissue or skull. Such brain injuries tend to be more serious as infections and other complications can occur. An underride truck accident in which parts of a tractor-trailer enter a smaller vehicle when it slides underneath the trailer can result in an open head injury.
- Concussion: A concussion is considered a mild closed head injury that occurs when force is applied to your head and brain. However, its effects can be far from mild. A concussion can result in anything from a headache to even a total loss of body function.
- Traumatic brain injury (TBI): One of the most serious injuries that can result from a San Diego truck accident is a TBI. A TBI can be caused by a jolt or blow to the head or by a penetrating head injury. The three main types of TBI are mild, moderate and severe.
This injury is so dangerous because it affects how the brain functions, which can lead to disability or even death. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, around 166 Americans die from TBI-related injuries every day. Motor vehicle crashes accounted for nearly 25 percent of all TBI-related hospitalizations in 2017.
What are the Signs of a Brain Injury?
Brain injuries can have unpredictable effects. Recognizing the signs of a brain injury is not always straightforward. In some cases, it may take time for symptoms to become apparent. Here are some common signs of brain injuries:
- Nausea or vomiting
- Difficulty speaking
- Vision problems
- Memory loss
- Changes in sleep patterns
If you are experiencing any of these symptoms after a truck accident, be sure to see a doctor right away. It is crucial to identify brain injuries as soon as possible so that they can be treated promptly.
Brain Injury Settlements in San Diego
If you suffered a brain injury in a San Diego truck accident, you are likely to require expensive long-term treatment. A TBI can impact your quality of life and ability to carry out daily tasks.
Filing a truck accident lawsuit can help you recover compensation for your mounting medical costs and other accident-related expenses. Here are some of the damages that may be awarded in a San Diego truck accident claim involving a brain injury:
- Past and future medical expenses
- Lost wages
- Decreased earning capacity
- Emotional distress
- Pain and suffering
- Loss of enjoyment of life
In truck accident cases that involve intentional harm, you may be able to obtain punitive damages. Punitive damages punish the at-fault party for reckless conduct that caused harm to another person.
How The Levinson Law Group Can Help You
Along with seeking immediate medical attention after a truck accident, it is essential to contact an experienced San Diego truck accident attorney. Truck accident cases involve complex issues of liability. Multiple parties could potentially be involved, including the truck driver and the company that employs them.
Insurance companies have the power to deny your claim if your brain injury symptoms are not considered severe. The Levinson Law Group can establish the damages you suffered from the truck accident and how they affect you.
An experienced San Diego truck accident attorney from our team will gather evidence to support your case, including medical records, expert testimony and more. We will also make sure your claim is filed in a timely manner as California has a statute of limitations for filing truck accident lawsuits.
Schedule a Free Consultation With a San Diego Truck Accident Lawyer
If you or a family member suffered a brain injury in a San Diego truck accident, reach out to The Levinson Law Group right away. Discuss your case with a knowledgeable truck accident attorney who can help you understand your legal options and explain exactly what to expect when filing a lawsuit. When you choose us to handle your case, you will receive personalized attention from a law firm that provides quality representation.
Please call us at 760-827-1700 or contact us online for a free consultation. Our dedicated San Diego truck accident lawyers are here to help you achieve the best possible outcome in your case so you can focus on recovering from your brain injury.
We accept cases on a contingent fee. That means that if there is no recovery in your case, you pay no fee. And in most cases, we even advance the costs.