9 Jan 2019,

Traffic Collision Report: Encinitas Sheriff Department

When you have been in a car crash, getting a collision report can be crucial evidence for filing a claim for your car accident injuries and damages.

If you have recently been involved in an incident around Encinitas, Solana Beach, or Del Mar, your collision report was completed by the California Highway Patrol. You can request a copy of the report by mail or in person.

The North Coastal Station

The North Coastal Station is a part of the San Diego County Sheriff’s Department and serves the northern coastal cities of Encinitas, Solana Beach and Del Mar. The station used to be called the Encinitas Patrol Station but was renamed in 2015 in order to more accurately reflect the community that it serves.

At the North Coastal Station traffic deputies are responsible for vehicle code enforcement, traffic collision investigations and traffic control.

In the unincorporated counties of California, the California Highway Patrol (CHP) is responsible for traffic enforcement. This means that if you have been in an accident, you need to contact the California Highway Patrol to get your CHP traffic accident report.

Getting Your Collision Report

You have two different ways to get a CHP accident report. You can get a police report in person at a CHP office, or by mail. Regardless of which method you choose, you will need to print and complete the Application for Release of Information, CHP 190 form.

In order to get the CHP crash report, you must be a Party of Interest. Acceptable Parties of Interest include:

  • Drivers
  • Passengers
  • Property owners
  • Vehicle owners
  • Legal representatives
  • Representatives of insurance companies
  • Parents of minors
  • Legal guardians

In order to fill out the CHP 190 form to get your collision report you will need the following information:

  • Date of incident
  • Location of incident
  • Driver or owner of vehicle
  • Name and address of person applying for the collision report
  • Signature
  • Applicable fees
  • Photocopy of driver’s license or picture identification card

The fee for collision reports is based on the page count. Contact your local CHP office to find out your exact fee. The CHP charges:

  • $10.00 — 01 – 25 pages
  • $20.00 — 26 – 50 pages
  • $30.00 — 51 – 75 pages
  • $40.00 — 76 – 100 pages
  • $10.00 — Over 100 – for each additional 25 pages or portion thereof

You can pay your fee by check or money order made out to the California Highway Patrol. 

After completing your CHP 190 form, mail it or take it in person to your local CHP office. After your request has been approved, your copy of the report will be mailed to the address you listed.

You can find more information on getting your CHP collision report here. If you have any questions, contact your local CHP office.