San Diego Teen Driving Accident Attorney
Teen drivers pose a unique threat to others on the road, largely because of their inexperience and poor decision making. At Levinson Law Group, we help people and families who have been injured in accidents caused by teen drivers get back on their feet with the full compensation available under the law. Our San Diego teen driving accident attorney team combines decades of experience and a track record of successful results for our clients.
We have dedicated our careers to making San Diego a safer place for everyone by fighting back against negligent driving.
How Teen Driver Accidents Happen
Although teen drivers spend less time on the road than others, they account for a large share of all car accidents across the country.
Drivers ages 16 to 19 are three times more likely than those 20 or older to be involved in fatal crashes nationwide, according to data from the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety. That figure is just slightly lower in California, according to the state Department of Motor Vehicles.
Teen driving accidents can be caused by a number of factors:
- Inexperience: Teen drivers simply have not spent as much time behind the wheel as others. They are generally less able to predict the actions of vehicles around them and they may underestimate the need to react to traffic.
- Speed: Nearly half of all fatal accidents involving teen drivers in California are related to speeding, according to the Governors Highway Safety Administration.
- Alcohol: Intoxication exacerbates inexperience by slowing reaction time and impairing decisions behind the wheel.
- Distraction: Whether it is texting behind the wheel or talking with friends in the car, drivers who take their eyes and minds off of the road increase the risk of an accident.
- No seatbelts: Buckling up will not stop an accident from happening, but it can significantly reduce the risk of injury or death in the event of a crash.
Parent Liability for Teen Driver Accidents
Did you know? A teen driver responsible for a collision can be held legally liable for the crash. It is also true that parents or other supervising adults can be held responsible for accidents that their children caused.
Parents in California are required to sign a consent form, giving their permission for kids under the age of 18 to drive. They also agree to liability for any crashes caused by their children. Parents are automatically freed of this liability when their children turn 18.
Regardless of age, parents who loan their cars to their children may also be liable for any accidents in which the vehicle is involved. So too are parents who allow children to drive, despite signs that he or she may be impaired by alcohol or drugs.
A San Diego Teen Driving Accident Attorney Is Here For You
If you or a loved one have been injured in a bus or other motor vehicle accident, our attorneys can help you understand your rights and options and take action to get compensation.
Our offices are conveniently located in San Diego and Carlsbad. We are pleased to represent clients throughout the area, including in Encinitas, Vista, Oceanside, San Marcos and Escondido. Contact us online or call 760-827-1700 to schedule a free consultation with a San Diego teen driving accident attorney at our firm.