11 Jan 2019,

What If The Person Who Caused My Car Accident Has No Insurance?

Have you been injured in an automobile accident in California? Are you worried who will pay your medical bills and lost wages? These are common concerns when someone is involved in an automobile accident. However, if you have no insurance, these questions become even more crucial.

Your first priority, regardless of your insurance status, should be to seek medical care because your health is your top priority. After you receive medical care, contact The Levinson Law Group to help sort out the issue of having no insurance and to provide support and guidance throughout your personal injury claim. Gordon Levinson uses the knowledge and experience he gained as an attorney for large insurance companies to help injured victims seek justice for their injuries.

We accept cases on a contingent fee. That means that if there is no recovery in your case you pay no fee. And in most cases, we even advance the costs. For your free consultation, call (760) 642-5475 today.

Who Pays for Damages in a California Car Accident?

When you are involved in an automobile accident in California, the driver who is at-fault for the accident is responsible for the other driver’s damages. Therefore, if the other driver caused your accident, we will pursue a personal injury claim on your behalf against that driver’s liability insurance company. Every driver in California is required to carry liability insurance to cover damages caused in an automobile accident; however; not everyone does. If you are involved in an automobile accident and you have no insurance, your right to recover damages could be at risk.

What is California Proposition 213?

Insurance companies lobbied heavily for California Proposition 213 because it “punishes” driver for having no insurance. If an uninsured driver is injured in an automobile accident caused by the other driver, the uninsured driver is only permitted to recover economic damages from the at-fault driver. Examples of economic damages include lost wages, medical bills, and property damage. However, under Proposition 213, an uninsured driver is barred from recovering non-economic damages for pain and suffering, disfigurement, mental suffering, and loss of enjoyment of life. In some cases, the non-economic losses are substantial.

California Proposition 213 has several exemptions. For example, if the accident involves a drunk driver or a wrongful death, the “no insurance” penalty may not apply. Regardless of whether you had insurance at the time of your automobile accident, you should contact our law office as soon as possible to discuss your legal rights. In some cases, we may be successful in challenging the restrictions regarding non-economic recovery contained in Proposition 213.